Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Nobu

As a huge fan of Japanese food, one restaurant has always been on my short list of places I must eat at; Nobu. Recently, I finally had the opportunity to get a taste of what I had been missing.

Upon arriving at the Tribeca restaurant, we were sitting at our table within minutes (with a reservation). After placing our order, our first course arrived between 5 and 10 minutes later. From there, it seemed like the following courses arrived just as we were cleaning the plate on our table. Our 8 course meal was completed in just over an hour and a half!

The menu is a little intimidating. I can hold my own when it comes to ordering sushi, but Nobu is known for their hot and cold dishes. We relied on suggestions from our waiter for most of the selections we made.


Fresh Yellowtail Sashimi with Jalapeno
Great way to start the meal. The fish was incredibly fresh and the jalapeno complemented it very nicely.


Salmon Tartar
This really impressed me. The fish was mounted in the center of a bowl and was surrounded by some sort of wasabi and soy-based sauce. Truly outrageous flavor combination.

Sashimi Salad with Matsuhisa Dressing
If you had asked me last week what I might expect to order while at Nobu, the last thing I would have told you was a salad. However, I am extremely glad that I did. The dressing was amazing and perfectly complimented the seared tuna and fresh greens. Wow.


Rock Shrimp Tempura with Creamy Spicy Sauce
This dish wasn't bad in the slightest. I enjoyed it very much. However, it wasn't anything I couldn't get at any other Japanese restaurant. I was hoping for more.


Squid "Pasta" with Garlic Sauce
Intriguing. It's been almost a week since I had this meal and I still can't decide how I feel about this dish. It was good, but it was the first dish of the night I wasn't racing to finish. I think I enjoyed the mushrooms more than the squid. If anyone else has had this, please comment and let me know what you thought of it.


Broiled Black Cod with Miso
Unreal! This was easily the best dish of the night. The fish was tender, flaky, and incredibly flavorful. I could eat this dish everyday. It was that good. Does anyone know a fish monger in the city that carries black cod?


Sushi - Red Snapper, House Special Roll
It would have been very weird to have a Japanese meal and not have at least a little sushi. So we had to indulge a little bit. We got the house "special" roll. The waiter said it included 5 different fishes. I would guess this includes salmon, tuna, yellowtail, and a few others. It was good. Not the best roll I've ever had, but the quality of fish definitely lived up to my expectations. In addition to the roll, I also ordered a piece of Japanese Red Snapper sushi. The waiter said it was only available for a few months during the spring. This I really enjoyed.

Warm Bittersweet Chocolate Soup
The bowl arrived with a mound of peanut butter crunch, ice cream, and chocolate mochi. The waiter poured the warm chocolate over it at our table to fill the bowl. This was the perfect way to cleanse our palettes and finish the meal. The mochi was a little strange. It has the consistency of jello, yet tastes like chocolate. Overall, I loved it. Maybe I'm just a sucker for chocolate. But who isn't? This dish was gone before I could get my camera out to snap a picture.

Report Card

Food: A-
Atmosphere: A (beautiful restaurant and great ambience)
Price: C (overpriced)
Overall: B+

Nobu
105 Hudson Street
New York, NY
212-219-0500

No comments:

Post a Comment