Saturday, March 21, 2009

Stand

The burger is another one of those foods, like pizza, that New Yorkers are extremely picky about where they will go to get them. Here is a restaurant that I really like, and is on my list of go-to spots when I'm craving a burger.

I tend to gravitate towards the Bacon & Egg Cheeseburger whenever I am there. The hard-boiled egg mayo that they put on the burger is fantastic. It is prevalent, yet the creamy sauce doesn't take anything away from the great taste of the medium-rare beef. The bacon is thin and there isn't too much cheddar. I always hate when restaurants go so heavy on the cheddar that you can't even taste the meat and the whole thing is dripping with grease. Stand gets it. They know how to proportion to the toppings correctly.


As far as the fries go....you may hear people telling you to go with the shoestring, however, I would advise against it. While they are tasty, they are incredibly thin to the point where they crunch like chips and don't really give you the potato taste a fry should. I do recommend getting their regular fries. They are thick cut, crispy, salty, and yet nice and soft once you break into them. A large is more than enough for a party of two. Don't be afraid to share.

Also worth noting, they have a bunch of really awesome everyday specials; Burgers are 2-for-1 from 3-5, you get a free beer with any burger from 5-7, and they give a free side with any burger from 10-midnight.

I wouldn't hesitate to put Stand's burger up against NYC heavyweights Shake Shack or Burger Joint. Their shakes are also supposed to be pretty good. I haven't indulged myself, but plan to soon. If you have had one, let me know how they are.

Report Card

Food: A-
Atmosphere: A (great music)
Service: A (I've never waited for a table and the service is very speedy)
Overall: A-

Stand
24 E. 12th St.
(btwn University Place and 5th Ave)
New York, NY

No comments:

Post a Comment